Sunday, July 3, 2011

Break Out

After getting advice that the locks weren't shut to recreational boats and choosing to believe the advice that the harbour at St Louis wasn't closed, I decided to go for it. I was on the water at 7,30 and paddled the now flooded street behind the wine bar out to the river. I made good time for the 20 miles to the Alton locks and shot under the open dam gate without difficulty.I eventually made it to the confluence with the Missouri but as I was on the far side I didn't notice any difference in river speed or extra turbulence. I then entered the 5 mile canal that by passed the Chain of Rocks which given the extra water I probably could have paddled over but I didn't want to risk sight unseen.The canal was hard work with no current and a head wind but eventually I got to the final lock with a 5 minute stop to remix my drink bottle. For the first time at a lock I shared with another vessel, a Corp of Engineers tug. Leaving the lock I rejoined the combined river.Boy was it moving fast. It was also full of debris,logs and trees. There didn't seem to be a huge increase in commercial traffic but there were a lot of moored barges that I had to keep well clear of.The arch and downtown soon came into view and disappeared,fo;;owed by the Coast Guard HQ.I half expected a fast boat to be despatched to arrest me but nothing. I made the 20 miles (30k) to the famous Hoppies Marina at Kimswick in two and a half hours. A total distance of 60 miles for the day in 11 hours-a new record which I know I will soon break as the guys ahead of me are doing 80 mile days.
At the marina there was a nice lawn to land on. I was given .permission to camp and to leave my boat for 3 days when Jane comes to pick me up. I was soon offered a beer or two or three and given dinner by a couple of the house boat residents. All in all a very successful day

1 comment:

  1. Amazing adventures. Sounds like you were in suspense about a number of critical aspects of life in the Mississippi. What is legal? What isn't? What is safe? What isn't? But you made great time and were gifted a beer at the end of the day. Great success!

    ReplyDelete