Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Worst Moment

The worst moment came on my last night on the river. I had left NO with approx 84 miles to my final destination. I saw from my charts that there was a ferry landing exactly halfway and knew from my past experience that this could offer a good landing/camping spot. As I paddled down I passed another ferry landing and was concerned to note that there was no way that I could have landed there. I decided that if I saw another suitable spot near the next ferry landing I would take it. There is a levee all along the river but it is hard to get to because there is a mini levee of rocks with trees in front of it. I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted a gap in the mini levee with a small mud beach so I landed. The top of the levee was covered with tall grass and I thought would be having a good sleep. Behind the levee and completely fenced of was an enormous house. I lay in the sun for an,phoned Jane, made dinner, put up my tent,and around dusk lay down for the night.Almost immediately the sheriff appeared and informed me that I was on private property and that the complainant,the woman in the big house, wanted me gone. I politely pointed out that it was nearly dark and that I could be at some risk on the river after dark. He didn't care,just said I couldn't stay there.I quickly packed up,put on my head torch (which was not as strong as 2 months ago) and set off.Fortunately 3 miles down the river I came across the ferry landing that was my original destination and found that I could get ashore. It was with a great deal of relief that I put my tent up for the second time that night at about 10pm and went to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment