Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Targets

In an endeavour to reduce the enormnity of the venture. I have broken the trip down into 11 short targets. I have already referred to the first four in an earlier post,namely
1/ Get through the wetlands to Bemidji-up to 3 days.My wife thinks that i will be so lonely after this time that I will want to come home once i get to this first town.To prove her wrong i have to last 4 days. Unfortunately this will plac eme in the middle of the lakes,my second target.
2/To get through the 4 lakes The giude book I have recommends against paddling across the largest of these because the wind can get up suddenly producing large waves. This advice is probably directed more towards canoeists rather than kayakers.
3/Pass the 300 mile mark equalling the distance from Takapuna to Cape Reinga,my longest paddle to date.
4Get to Minneapolis,a distance of 500 miles which qualifies as an expedition. Realistically,this is probably my first opportunity to pull out if i find i am not enjoying myself.
The other targets are
5/Pass the 1000 mile mark which is also approximately the comfluence with the Missouri, which is where the Mississippi becomes a seriously big river if it wasn't already
6/Reach St Louis-1180 miles and approximately half way,the end of the locks and dams, and the start of the free flowing river.
7/The confluence with the Ohio River or approx 1300 miles.
8/The 1500 mile mark. I haven't worked out where that is exactly but I am sure I will  b/4 I get there.
9/The 2000 mile mark ( or just north of New orleans,probably around Baton Rouge
10/New Orleans
11/Mile 0 or Head of Passes-10 miles past the end of the road at Venice La and another 10 miles to the sea. If I go right out to the Gulf of mexico I would hope to hitch a ride back to Venice with a passing fishing boat rather than battling 20 miles upstream

3 comments:

  1. Mate, don't even think about pulling out before the end! Just think of the sense of achievement in making the end and the sense of disappointment if you do pull out because it gets a little tough/boring. And don't underestimate the size of the waves that can be created on the lakes. I've heard many stories about the huge waves that develop on Lake Taupo, several metres high! Suggest you head out from Sullivans on some seriously rough days when an easterly is blowing and head out around the point past Big Bay. Good training for waves in the winter and you can paddle into them for an hour or so, then turn around and get a good ride back to Sulivans when you have had enough of paddling into the wind. The waves around there can get big but your not that far away from getting back into the shelter of the harbour for a more sheltered paddle. I like heading out there in the winter and rough weather so if you want someone to head out with shoot me a text on 021 210 7124.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, can you or your webmaster (James?) create a map for each stage - so we can easily see where you are at? Maybe your journey to date can be highlighted...coloured in, in red?? to signify the 'blood, sweat and tears' you have shed. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a SPOT and maps like Tim Taylor uses is a great idea. http://www.nzkayaker.com/map

    ReplyDelete