Sunday, July 10, 2011

More Kindness of Strangers

When I left Cape Girardeau for New Madrid I stopped at two small towns along the way.Unfortunately they were both set a mile or more from the river. At the first there were two women on the boat ramp. When I asked if there was any water to be had they immediately offered to drive me to a restaurant in town to get some. At the next town I was in need of a toilet (I prefer not to dig a hole in the bushes with all the snakes and poison ivy) There was a Coast Guard boat moored and I asked and was declined permission to land next to it and ask if I could use their facilities. I was told to land the other side of a fence 50 metres away. I climbed to the top of the flood wall to be faced with a church, a closed pizza shop, a cottge with a car out front. The Coastguard Building. As the gate was wide open and no signs prohibiting entry, I went in and entered the building. I was expecting some sort of office building but it turned out to be a dorm with bunk rooms, a gym,kitchen and importantly restrooms. As there was no -one to ask I simply took advantage of the facilities. The was also a shower and washing machine and I probably could have used both without anyone being the wiser. I walked out unchallenged and knocked on the door of the cottage to find in which direction the town lay and how far away it was. It was answered by an 82 year old man who told me it was over a mile away and offered to take me there,which I accepted. We went to the grocery store for a few provisions and he drove me back to my boat. When I finally got to New Madrid that night I was immediately greeted on the boat ramp by someone who had just come ashore as well and aske if there was anything I needed. When I said I wouldn't mind buying something for dinner rather than having my usual soup or Tuna and rice he drove me to a restaurant and waited while my order of hamburgers was taken

No comments:

Post a Comment