Sunday, July 10, 2011

An Unexpected Development

I am sitting in a funeral parlour typing this post. Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated but the doctors said the operation was a success and that I should make a full recovery.I will be spending a second night in Caruthersville and on the river again tomorrow. I awoke this morning and decided that as the infection I have suffered from over the past few weeks didn't seem to be getting any better and possibly worse,that I should see a doctor. Trouble is it is Saturday here.I walked to the local police station which a passerby had told about the night b/4. They said I would have to go to the hospital which was 5 miles away and one of them volunteered to take me. I was seen by several medical types,had my blood taken along with other tests. The diagnosis which surprised me was that along with the infection I was suffering from dehydration. I was surprised because it it one one the risks common to kayaking everywhere and I was very aware of it and thought I was taking great care,drinking water and Gatorade constantly through the day and even when I woke during the night.Apparently I will have to drink a lot more(no Dave,not beer). I was put on an IV drip and then when that was done ,released with a prescription for antibiotics and a bag of crackers and cheese one of the doctors gave me. I got back to the boat after hitching a ride with two black men who invited me to join them playing pool. I declined. I sat on a park bench after deciding it was too hot to get on the river and wondering how I was going to fill in the rest of the day.A big pick up truck pulled up with an elderly couple in it. The woman enquired whether I was the kayaker and the man asked if I would like a bath. They drove me to a small flat where I had my first bath since St Louis. We are going to dinner later. I could stay in the flat tonight but I don't want to leave the boat and I want to be on the water early tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment