Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fellow Travellers

Before I started on this trip I hoped I would encounter fellow river rats. I ran into Anthony and Jason a week ago when I saw their canoe at the side of the river where they were stopped for lunch. I knew of Anthony because his was the first trip of the year to go up on the web site of the Big  River magazine this year. Then a day or so later I encountered two canoes at the side of the river They were a blue grass band who played for children and were making a documentary about the river between St Paul and St Louis. I met up with both groups later in the day and we all paddle together to Hannibal (Mark Twain's hometown) where we had a meal together and camped in the park next to the river. The next morning Anthony, Jason and I decided to hit the water just b/4 lunch after thinking the worst of the bad weather had passed. It hadn't. We separated that night and I saw them again for probably the last time when I pulled into Grafton at midday just as they were leaving on a shuttle they had arranged to get around the closed portion of the river.
As well as these characters there are the 3 young guys I met up north. I was told by the man who had met them that they weren't exactly early risers and that I would probably catch them very soon.In,fact I caught them at noon the net day in the very small town of Palisades. They weren't going to paddle further that day and I did another 30 miles after having lunch with them in a local restaurant
Finally there is Jeff who I haven't met.He saw my blog b/4 I left NZ and gave me his phone number. I have been phoning him occasionally and was gaining on him until this 6 day layover I am about to enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment