Friday, June 24, 2011

Locks

I have become an old hand at locking through. Unfortunately my VHF charger has given up the ghost on me. I used to call up the lock when I got close,identify myself,and ask for instructions. I would also express my thanks after I locked through. All the locks have a cord at the end of the approach wall that one pulls. Someone then comes out and gives instructions. At some locks the dam gates are up and I can shoot through under neath without having to wait. At most locks there has been a minimal delay. I have only had to wait a couple of times while a barge tow locks through. As a solo kayaker I have the lowest priority.
Lock 9 is my favourite lock. A storm was brewing as I arrived and iIwas advised it was too dangerous to lock through. I was taken into the control room,given a can of pop and the lady lock keeper sent me on my way  after an hour with her packed lunch and a bag of chips

1 comment:

  1. Charm the birds out of the trees and the chicks out of their lunch!!

    ReplyDelete