Friday, June 10, 2011

Portages

There have been numerous portages over this stage,varying in length from 100 metres up to 1 kilometre.
I am so glad I bought a small set of wheels,otherwise I would have had to unload the boat each time and make several trips. The wheels were even a help on the very first portage over a rough stony bush track. Some of the portages involved walking along pavements or streets. Others involved a walk through a park. The worst was Blanchard Dam. Not only was it one of the longest but it went up and over 2 or 3 small but very steep slopes, one of which had a set of steps which is not very helpful. It took all my strength to haul the fully laden boat up these slopes(although it did help when I took the 10 litres of water out). I was lucky not to do myself a serious injury going down the first slope.I was still pulling the boat from thee front and it got away from me on the grass, knocking me off balance. I was very proud of my judo roll down the slope and escaped without serious injury even with the kayak also running over me.
I am pretty sure there are no more portages

No comments:

Post a Comment