Friday, June 10, 2011

Wetlands

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned that it is expected that one will get lost going through the wetlands but that one will get out eventually. It is just a rite of passage. The trick to not getting lost when the current is not discernible on the surface,is to look at the grass growing on the bottom and see which way this is pointing. But sometimes this fails. On one occasion,after going around in circles (I think) and getting no help from the advice of a passing fisherman, I spied a man mowing his lawn on a sit on top mower about 1 kilometre away. I decided to paddle straight to him ,blasting through reeds and bull rushes until I could get no closer than about 300 metres away. I then got out and started walking in thigh deep water stumbling over clumps of grass until I eventually made it to shore, The man had been watching from his lawn mower all this time and when I finally collapsed prostrate at his feet his first words to me were "Do you want a beer?" "No thanks" I replied,
"I'm a teetotaller"

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you are ahead of schedule Greg. Look forward to hearing how the Locks work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was already thinking you were crazy... you didn't have to prove it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg the Tiri takahe has had a radio transmitter put on him due to his age so the rangers can find him if he gets sick or lost. Maybe we should have got one for Musselman :-)

    ReplyDelete