Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Unbelievable Hospitality Continued

Since leaving Keokuk I have largely camped out by my self but sometimes with fellow river rats.I have been trying to slow down over the past few days because I am way ahead of schedule to meet my daughter Jane in St Louis next Friday.Right now I am in Grafton Illinois,a day's paddle away. I did a short 4 hour 20 mile paddle yesterday to pull into the marina just in time to meet and farewell (probably for the last time) 2 of my recent travelling companions.The marina had excellent shower and toilet facilities and an upstairs bar/restuarant to which I soon adjourned. After spending the afternoon drinking free beer and keeping a watchful eye on 3 young ladies in the pool below and rflecting on how tough the trip was becoming my luck got even better (No Charlie ,I didn't get invited home by one of the young ladies-be realistic)
I had already decided that the low lying area the lads had camped on the night b/4 was unsuitable (especially if it rained again as predicted. I had established the a vacant section up against the next strreet and right beside a winery/bar was the best spot. I put up the inner to dry and spread out the fly to dry from the night b/4 and sat beside it b/4 going back into the bar where I had previously had dinner. I was preceeded by a group of 4 women and I had barely got seated when one approached and asked if i was from NZ. She said she had heard about me and that she owned a B&B on a bluff above and would I like to stay in one of the cottages!!!!To call it a cottage is not to do it justice. It is a large one bedroom apartment with a king sized bed,2 TVs and a jacuzzi (which I soaked in this morning). And it is mine for another two nights.On top of it all Alison,the owner, knows the General in charge of the Corps of Engineers and is going to plead my case to be given a special dispensation to go through. the next two locks (a section of the river is closed to small craft because of the high water levels)I am also going to Rotary in Alton on Thursday and will check out the lock ther. to see if there is any way to portage around it and the next lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment